Thursday, April 16, 2020

Color Studies


Began creating samples for the color study project yesterday. It's taken me several weeks to get to this point. As I began planning my approach, I had the idea that the studies might be interesting grouped together to form a larger art piece. That drove the sizing of the samples. I brainstormed (and sampled) a variety of techniques and compositions, but none were speaking to me. I finally realized that the idea of this becoming finished artwork was holding me up. I had slipped back into my old perfectionist ways. 

I meditated on it, and the solution came. First, I had to let go of the idea that these samples would end up in an art piece. They might, but that's really not the point of doing them. I want to focus on the creating and the learning as I go, not the end result. 

For the composition, I'm using designs I created at a retreat a few years ago. The first set is analagous colors, using tints, tones and shades. Most of the studies I have done in the past were with fabric and dyes. I've been doing more mixed media lately, so I'm using acrylic paints for these studies. I really like what I've done so far. Looking forward to the journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...