Friday, July 29, 2011

Finishing Some Things

Last week I spent some time finishing up a number of pieces.  These are pieces that were started last fall. I felt they all had potential, but was stuck on exactly what to do.  Nothing like a six month break to bring a new perspective.

This piece was created with soy wax resist and was one in a number of studies I did on complementary colors. Here is the before version. Interesting, but no focal point.

After a few layers of dye and handpainting, here is the finished piece.

This piece was created using sugar syrup resist. Here is the before version. 

I wasn't thrilled with the composition, so I cut it up, discharged some of it, dye-painted some areas and put it back together.

This last piece is another complementary color study and was created by brushing potato dextrin through plastic hardware cloth. The before version:

Again, not a strong enough focal point. I decided to cut this down and put it on a 12" x 12" canvas and add some contrast with paint and metal leaf.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa --

    I think you may be on to something that would make an interesting class -- taking our assortment (and we all have them) of pieces that just aren't working well and rework them in a group setting where you get more ideas for the possible solutions.

    Thanks for sharing what you're doing. I'm inspired to open some of those drawers -- yikes!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...