Sunday, October 4, 2009

Procrastination

I guess I can't procrastinate any longer. After a two week hiatus from blogging, I need to jump back in.

Procrastination is one of those nasty habits I'm trying to break - but it's very difficult. I've always been a procrastinator and was never too concerned about it. I figured, "that's just the way I am." However, I have come to realize it has many downsides. The primary downside for me is the impact it has on my stress level. When I put things off, I have the weight of that unfinished task pressing down on my shoulders. With each task I put off, more weight is added. After awhile, I get so stressed, I can't think!

Another downside is lack of productivity. Now, I left the corporate world, so just using that word, "productivity" brings back some feelings of anxiety. However, I have lately been thinking more about my future and what I want to do with my life and my art. I realize that I could accomplish my goals much more easily and quickly if I would just stop procrastinating!

I have also become aware of the things I am doing to procrastinate. Lately it manifests as house cleaning, which is pretty ironic, since that was one of the things I used to avoid.

My mantra this week is "do it today." I have procrastinated terribly on a series of pieces that need to be finished in two weeks. I found all kinds of good reasons not to work on them. I got myself involved in too many things that had earlier deadlines, so it was easy to put this off. So, here I am faced with two pieces of dyed fabric and two pieces half-finished, with little inspiration. I know that once I get into it the ideas will come, but it's just so easy to say "I'll do it tomorrow." And, I hate to admit, it will have to wait until tomorrow (actually 'til Tuesday) because of some other commitments I made for today and tomorrow. Ah well, I can always stop procrastinating tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...