Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Daily Practice


I'm taking on a new daily practice related to my art. It is an assignment for the ArtCloth Mastery Program I'm taking. Between now and our next meeting in April, we are all supposed to start some type of short daily practice designed to further our skills and knowledge. I'm not sure if it will truly be a daily practice, but I hope to keep it up at least 4-5 days a week.

I have chosen to focus on design and composition because of several informative discussions we had in class on that topic. I generally don't spend a lot of time thinking about design and composition in my work - it happens intuitively. So I thought it might be interesting to see what happens if I intentionally focus on it.

Right now, my daily practice is to look at photos of art and analyze the composition. I begin by paying attention to where my eye is first drawn and then observing how my eye moves around the painting. Then I analyze what it is about the design that draws my attention - color, shape, movement, size, etc. I'm really enjoying this and I actually look forward to it each day. I have found that it also changes the way I look at art. We went to the art museum this week, and I realized that I was doing the same analysis on the paintings there.

After analyzing paintings for a few weeks, I plan to create small drawings each day, using different design elements. I also intend to consciously plan the design and composition of my work over the next few months, rather than just letting it happen. What effect will this have on my work? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...