Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Evolution . . . of Style

A thought-provoking observation at the fiber exhibition last weekend.  I'm familiar with the work of many of the artists, and was surprised by a few of the pieces.  Surprised in the sense that I didn't recognize them as the work of that particular artist. This all goes back to the idea of artistic style (one of my fascinations).  These pieces seemed very different from what I thought of as that person's "style".  And while I believe there is value in creating an aesthetic sense that is recognizable, I also think we have to break free from that sometimes. Our style evolves as we evolve, and trying something new or doing something in a different way opens us to new possibilities.

How have you broken out of your "style" lately?  How did it turn out?  I'll share some of my evolution in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...