Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Who Has Shaped Your Creative Journey?

One of the topics last week in my online creativity class was acknowledging those who have had an impact on one's creative journey. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge someone who made a big difference in my life.  While working in my former career in human resources I began taking watercolor classes. I took a few classes, but the instructors were uninspiring. Basically they just taught us to paint the way they painted. The class was structured so that we all painted the same thing.

I was about to give up on watercolor when I decided to take one more class from a different instructor, Veronica Potter. What a difference! She gave us tips about working with watercolors and showed us some techniques, but we were free to do what we wanted. She opened my eyes to a new way of working. I wouldn't call her a mentor, because we didn't have a long term connection, yet she had a huge impact on the course of my journey. The bottom line is I would never have pursued my art full-time if it wasn't for her.

Fast forward a few years. I often thought about Veronica and felt that I wanted to let her know about the impact she had. I wasn't sure how to get in touch with her since she wasn't teaching at the school anymore. Then one day I saw her at an art supply store. She was teaching a painting class there. I took advantage of the opportunity and told her how much of an impact she had on my journey. It felt great to finally thank her in person and I think she really enjoyed hearing it.

Who has shaped your creative journey?

3 comments:

  1. The first one to shape my journey was my Design Professor in a class in my freshman year in college.
    I had felt I did not havge artistic talent after taking a high school art class from a less than encouraging teacher. Sore art teachers should NOT teach art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had 3 who have had major impacts on my creative journey. First was my mother, who awakened my creative genes at an early age; next came the Art teacher in high school who saw that I had something to encourage and nuture and gave me both; most recently was Melanie Testa, who taught a class in surface design techniques that I attended in 2007, and who continues to inspire me greatly. And I have found a great many creative people online in recent years who have given freely of their talents and techniques, and have made the journey even more enjoyable for their company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun to read this post, Lisa. There are many people along the way, but I have to say that Libby Lehman really turned my head as a quilt maker. The first time I attended the International Quilt Festival in Houston, in 1992, I attended a lecture by Libby. I was so inspired by her work, and appreciated how she took traditional quilting styles and made them uniquely hers.
    Years later, I think it was in 2011, I was standing in line next to her to get into the awards ceremony in Houston. I thanked her for being such an inspiration and so encouraging. I think she was very pleased to hear it!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...