Thursday, March 27, 2014

Priorities


A year ago, my daily routine began with a perusal of my favorite blogs. I usually spent 30-60 minutes reading and commenting on blogs. Then I'd spend a little time thinking about what I would write about in my blog that week. That routine changed when I went on retreat last summer. No reading or writing blogs for two months. When I returned, I had a lot of blog ideas - I planned to share some of my insights and experiences while on retreat. Shortly after I returned, my Dad was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma. Suddenly social media was not on the top of my priority list.

It's been a rough 6 months, for my Dad and for the family. I found myself feeling overwhelmed, depressed, fatigued. Honestly, I can just barely get through what I need to do for my workshops and classes. I don't seem to have the energy for much of anything.

Even before my Dad's illness, I was re-thinking where I wanted to go with my art and my life. Asking myself the big questions - what do I want to do with the rest of my life?, how do I want to live?, what is really important to me?, what contributions can I make to the world? I wish I had the answers, but that is an ongoing process.

As a result of this questioning, I realize that right now I just don't have the interest or energy to write regular blog entries. I felt it was important to share my thoughts rather than letting the blog lapse without that acknowledgement. So, this may well be my last blog post. . . Or at some point in the future I may have more energy and enthusiasm and pick up where I left off. Either way, I am grateful for the connections I've made through the blog. Thanks for being a part of my world! 

6 comments:

  1. Be kind to yourself and rest. We will all be here if you choose to return. After tending my parents last year and the aftermath of Dad's passing, I found myself asking the same questions. When our own mortality hits us between the eyes, it is good to reflect on how we wish to spend our time. You will be missed from the blogosphere. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie. Your words mean a lot. Wishing you the best, too!

      Delete
    2. And thank you, Lisa, for being such an inspiration to me. I have missed your thoughtful blog posts and hope that your journey brings you back at some point to sharing some of your thoughts about that journey with us again, but for now may you find the strength you need in this difficult time and the peace hidden within all these challenges.

      Delete
  2. Be with your family, rest and regenerate. Life is precious. If and when you feel blogging is the right thing, you will find an audience. Meanwhile, you and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I am so sorry to hear of the impetus, but I think the decision is sound. Life is precious & best spent on the things that nourish us & being with family & friends that we have deep relation to.
    Thank you for all the beautiful art & inspiration.
    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care, and thank you for all you shared with us, much appreciated, now its time to keep your energy close by yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...